Monday, November 10, 2008

Saving History

Welcome to my first ever multimedia project.
This is a story about a vintage aero museum in Ft. Lupton, Colo., how it began and the history that it preserves. Melanie Sidwell wrote the story, which can be found on the Times-Call website.

We drove out into the middle of the country to two airplane hangars, where "Aero Museum" was written in big bold lettering on the outside wall of one of them. This is the type of museum I might call grass roots. I've been to my fair share of museums and this one had a much different feel. There was no pristine or prestigious feel to it. The space was modest and so was the casing that held these amazing artifacts. The sense of modesty that occupied the museum made me feel more personally connected with the people the mannequins represented and the family history that built this collection. I highly recommend visiting the LaFayette Foundation if you live at all nearby. I thought I could have hung out in there all day long.

1 comment:

Huckleberry Hart said...

Beautiful presentation. Kudos. Like Mufasa said: remember where you come from.