Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Democratic Victory

20081104_ELECTION_NIGHT_LANAN

All of a sudden the crowd was in an uproar. Everywhere I looked people screamed, flailed their arms, cried, jumped for joy, and danced in circles. It took me a minute to figure out what was actually happening, but when I saw the big screen hanging in the front of the exhibit building, i realized that Obama had just been announced to be the next president of the United States. This is history in the making and I had the urgency to document as much of it as I could in that moment.

To think, 30 minutes earlier, the reporter had pretty much told me that I didn't have to go to the Democratic party. Nothing was going on, she said. Wrong. When I got there (what I estimate to be) 1,000 Obama supporters were hanging out to watch the election and party hardy with each other. Note 1: Listen to your photo editor. Note 2: Shoot for the web.

It has been a really cool experience to be a part of this whole election process, starting with the DNC and finishing with a new president. I totally appreciate the opportunities I have been given in this internship and I think that, being my first year in the PJ world, I have gotten to be a part of some really big news. Unfortunately, there was no dancing in the streets of Longmont like there was in Boulder until the early hours of the morning, but that's what you get for a small town local paper. Here is the photo staff slide show from the election activities. I think everyone did a really good job coming together and covering all ends of this historical election.

1 comment:

Joshua Buck said...

Very nice work, Morgan. Great emotion translates into nice moments.

Also, meant to tell you I liked the tennis portrait. Nice light.

Josh